Oh Halloween treats…oh how you tempt me with your yummy goodness and your sticky sweetness!! Why?! Why do you do it??!!
Does the thought of this holiday make you feel the same way? Halloween has been and probably always will be, a huge battle I fight against each year. I LOVE CANDY AND SWEETS!!….and I’m not afraid to admit it! 🙂
I’m also not afraid to admit that I rummage through the kiddos candy piles after they fall asleep on Halloween night…Hey…don’t judge 🙂
However, this fun holiday doesn’t always have to be unhealthy. There are so many options out there for making healthier choices on the Halloween treats that you make.
Yummy goodness + healthy choices = A happy girl!
A few months ago, I did a review for Kretschmer Wheat Germ! This little nutrient-rich powerhouse has truly become a staple in my household and I use it almost daily in my smoothies as well as a breading for chicken, fish, etc. I love this product!!!!!
So without further ado, I’m very excited to share these new recipes with you that will make some yummy Halloween treats that won’t make you feel completely guilty 🙂 **Recipes courtesy of Kretschmer Wheat Germ
- Use the handy caramel apple kit found in the produce department, near the (you guessed it) apples. It is microwavable and heats up to just the right consistency (apple sticks are included).
- Then mix about 1/4 cup wheat germ (Kretschmer Original or Honey Crunch) with about 1/2 cup finely crumbled chocolate-toffee pieces for six apples.
- As soon as you’ve swirled the apples coat them immediately with the wheat germ-chocolate toffee bar mixture. Let the apples cool for about an hour.
- While still a definite indulgence, these sprinkled caramel apples taste incredible and the crumbly topping provides a welcome layer of goodness.
- 8 ounces good quality bittersweet or semi sweet chocolate, chopped into small pieces 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons Kretschmer Original Toasted Wheat Germ (or Kretschmer Honey Crunch Wheat Germ)
- Line baking sheet with parchment or wax paper.
- Place chopped chocolate in medium bowl.
- Heat cream to gentle boil in small heavy-duty saucepan. Remove from heat. Add chocolate. Stir until mixture is smooth and chocolate is melted. Refrigerate 25 to 30 minutes or until mixture is thick enough to form into balls.
- Using very small ice cream scoop or melon baller, drop rounds of chocolate onto cookie sheet. Shape or roll into balls; coat with wheat germ. (Note: If chocolate becomes too soft to shape, return it to refrigerator until it is cold enough to manage.)
- Store in airtight container in refrigerator. Remove at least 15 minutes before serving to bring to room temperature.
Do those sound amazing or what?! I see some yummy cooking AND eating in my near future!
Kretschmer would like one of you lucky readers to receive a full size jar of Kretschmer Wheat Germ. Enter the giveaway by leaving a comment telling me which recipe you would make with your prize. Listed below are other optional additional entries. *****Please leave a separate comment for any optional entry.
- Follow LiveLearnLoveRun and Kretschmer on Twitter and tweet, “I want to put a healthy twist on Halloween! Enter the
@MyWheatGerm giveaway with @livelearnloveru here: http://wp.me/p3mIIz-a9
- Follow LiveLearnLoveRun on Facebook
- Sign up to receive my blog by email (on the right hand side of my blog)
This giveaway will be open until Friday, October 25th, 2013 at 10:00 pm (CST). The giveaway winner will be selected at random and announced on Saturday, October 26th. You will have 48 hours to contact me or another winner will be selected. Open to US residents only.